Tetra Ammonia Test Kit NH3 NH4
Ammonia is excreted by fish directly into the water and is also released from the breakdown of solid waste and uneaten food. Ammonia is highly toxic to fish but is usually removed from the water by the bacteria which live inside the filter. However in new tanks or if the filter bacteria are damaged the ammonia level may become toxic. The only way to know what the ammonia level is is by testing it with a Tetra Test Ammonia kit. Regular testing especially in new aquariums will prevent damage caused by ammonia poisoning.
How it Works The Tetra Test Ammonia kit is a liquid kit which works by changing the color of a water sample in relation to the ammonia concentration. You simply need to compare the color of the sample to the easy to read color chart in order to determine the ammonia level.
How to Use In order to test the ammonia level simply take a sample of aquarium water in a jug and then use some of this to wash out the test vial. Then
1. fill the vial to the 5 ml mark with the water to be tested
2. hold bottle 1 upside down and add 14 drops to the vial close it and shake gently
3. hold bottle number 2 upside down add 7 drops to the vial close and shake gently
4. hold bottle number 3 upside down and add 7 drops to the vial close and shake gently. Leave the vial for twenty minutes to allow the color to develop
5. Match the color of the sample to the color chart in order to obtain the ammonia concentration.
Always read the instructions carefully before use. If ammonia levels are high then you should seek advice as to the underlying cause.